Gingivitis is a form of gum disease that can cause inflammation, bleeding, and even tooth loss if left untreated. The good news is that it is usually easy to treat. Read on for some easy tips for getting rid of gingivitis.
Symptoms of Gingivitis
The most common symptom of gingivitis is red, inflamed, and bleeding gums. Other symptoms include:
- Soreness in the mouth
- Bad breath (halitosis)
- Receding gums
- A feeling that the teeth are loose
If you notice any of these symptoms, it is important not to ignore them.
Getting Rid of Gingivitis
Treating gingivitis starts with good oral hygiene.
- Proper brushing: Using an antibacterial toothpaste, brush your teeth at least twice a day for 2 minutes each time. Use a soft-bristled brush and make sure you reach all areas of the mouth, including the back of the teeth and along the gum line.
- Flossing daily: Flossing every day helps remove plaque and bacteria from between your teeth, where brushing can’t reach.
- Rinsing: Rinse with an antiseptic mouthwash every day to help kill bacteria in your mouth that are in hard-to-reach places.
- Regular checkups: Visit your dentist regularly for checkups and cleanings.
For more advanced gum disease, your dentist may recommend professional treatments such as scaling and root planing (deep cleaning) to help remove plaque and bacteria from the gum line.
How to Prevent Gingivitis
In addition to good oral hygiene, making lifestyle changes can also help get rid of gingivitis and prevent future gum disease issues.
- Avoid sugary snacks, sodas, and processed foods as these can contribute to tooth decay.
- Quit smoking. Smoking is a major risk factor for gingivitis.
- Eat a balanced diet with plenty of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. These foods contain important vitamins and minerals for oral health.
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day to help keep your mouth clean and hydrated.
By following these tips, you can help prevent or reduce the symptoms of gingivitis and keep your mouth healthy.
Schedule a Dental Checkup Today
If you are suffering from symptoms of gingivitis, contact The Dental Space today to schedule a checkup. Our experienced team can help diagnose and treat your condition quickly and effectively so you can get back to feeling good about your smile!
Our San Marcos dental practice is equipped with the latest in dental technology to provide every patient with the best possible service and results. Kids and adults alike love the complimentary arcade in our lobby and flat screen TVs in all treatment rooms!
The Dental Space serves patients from surrounding areas, including Redwood, Maxwell, Wimberley, Kyle, New Braunfels and Reedville. We accept Medicaid and CHIP, as well as most PPO plans, and provide patients with a wide range of payment options. 512-667-9770