Are you brushing your teeth the right way? You may not know it, but there’s a right way and a wrong way to brush your teeth. Brushing correctly ensures you get the maximum dental health benefits every time you brush your teeth.
Brushing your teeth twice a day is important to maintaining your oral health. But how you brush is even more important. Brushing your teeth the wrong way not only means that you’re not getting your teeth their cleanest, but you could also be doing damage to your teeth and gums as well.
Get the Best Results by Learning the Right Way to Brush
For the best results from brushing, the American Dental Association recommends that you and your family:
- Brush your teeth twice daily.
- Use a soft-bristled electric brush. Hard bristled brushes can wear away tooth enamel and cause abrasion to the gums. Electric toothbrushes clean deeper and remove more plaque.
- Use a fluoride toothpaste
- Make sure the size and shape of the brush allow you to easily reach all areas in your mouth.
- Replace your toothbrush every three or four months. Sooner, if the bristles start to fray. A worn toothbrush won’t clean your teeth as well as a new one.
When it comes to proper brushing technique, you need to:
- Hold your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle with the gums.
- Gently move the toothbrush back and forth in short strokes, making sure you brush the tooth’s entire surface: inner, outer, and the chewing surfaces.
- When you clean the inside surfaces of your front teeth, switch to a vertical approach. Tilt your brush vertically so that you can clean the teeth using up and down strokes.
Other Important Habits to Protect Your Dental Health
In addition to correctly brushing your teeth twice a day, you need to follow these daily habits to keep your teeth, gums and mouth their healthiest:
- Floss before you brush your teeth.
- When you brush your teeth, brush your tongue as well. This is a great way to avoid bad breath.
- Avoid eating sugary or acidic food and drinks.
- Avoid smoking
- Chew sugar-free gum
- See your dentist twice a year for a dental examination and professional teeth cleaning.
Schedule an Appointment at The Dental Space
If it’s been a while since you’ve visited the dentist, schedule a visit at The Dental Space. The Dental Space always welcomes new patients, even those as young as six months old!
The Dental Space is a family dentistry clinic in San Marcos, TX dedicated to ensuring you and your family have the brightest and healthiest smile possible. We’re different from most dental clinics in that we focus on providing a positive experience for all our patients, including arcade games in our waiting area and personal small screen TVs in our dental care suites. We provide state-of-the-art dental care to patients in San Marcos, TX, and surrounding areas, including Kyle, Redwood, Wimberley, Martindale, Reedville, and Maxwell.
The Dental Space is located at 1101 Thorpe Ln, Suite 101, just off IH 35 in the Springtown Center Shopping Mall. Use the Contact form or call us at 512-667-9770 to schedule an appointment today.